Appendix G

Appendix G
Click on Appendix G to reach the Dreaming Gynoid store

Thursday, March 2, 2017

GARM part two - brainstorming

So.  the Day after Ragnarok - the sequel

ROCKET TO GARM

A tale of the British Royal Rocket Patrol!




So, to carry the thought exercise forward, were I to develop this enough to pitch or run this, I think ultimately the list of sources (posted, so prospective players would have some notion where I’m coming from) would look something like this



Dan Dare & the Day After Ragnarok of course
the Ministry of Space
Triplanetary
UFO Belter
Space 1999
2001 A Space Odyssey


Robert Heinlein, Tom Corbett, Space Cadet, a lot of early Philip K. Dick, and the Jetsons


So with all of this, and an eye toward all of the “Rocket Patrol” era of SF , I’d populate the inner and outer solar system, pepper the colonial powers out by extrapolating forward from DAR (which leaves off in summer 1947 I think).  
On that last I would need, at least for my own purposes, something like a post 49 timeline (again heavily inspired by ministry of space).



I’ve pro’lly got a bit of the Expanse in here but that’s because
a) I've got it on the brain a little
b( the Expanse is genius and
c) the Expanse incorporates a metric grinth load old golden and early silver age ideas about the Dawn of the Solar System Age.  
Go read your Heinlein juveniles  It’s in there.  This sort of thing used to be hard coded into Classic Traveller back in the day. I own a copy of GDW’s Belter. )   Either way we’re talking about what is on the surface a game of “Plucky engineers, everyone has a slide rule, and torch ships are just now a thing.”  
Of no great surprise to anyone who knows me, I would be drawing a fair bit of inspiration from Ellis’ Ministry of Space.  Maybe all of it.  I’m sure I could work out some vague timeline.  

Also! one of the awesome things that Hite does in DAR is seed the book with references to other works of thematically or period related media or fiction.  Dan Dare gets checked, so does UNIT, so does a LOT of things.  This trend would persist with this project to some degree.   

The big question would be for me What does the Title pertain to?  Rocket to Garm?
Since Garm, mythologically eats the world, and since we’re allowed to incorporate other media, I’m just going to suggest that right now, the whole ministry of space timeline gets interrupted by Garm, eating the moon AKA a colossal atomic explosion on the far side of the moon on September 10, 1999.   If the command staff happen to resemble Martin Landau and Barbara Bain you can only blame me so much.  

Next, I shall hash out that timeline and figue out what thee is to do in this Rocket Age solar Darestopia

No comments:

Post a Comment